Saturday, February 09, 2008

Are you Entitled?




It never ceases to amaze me the number of people that I come in contact with that really and truly believe that they are "entitled" to something. You know the person, because they are alive and breathing they deserve to have this or that. I recently had a tenant that had just moved out of the home she was renting from us and wanted her security deposit back. I am one of those landlords that absolutley want to give every dime back to a tenant because that would mean they left the home in a clean undamaged condition and thus, I would not have to do anything to it.

But in this case, the woman had damaged the vinyl floor in the kitchen. She had dragged something across it and created a cut in the floor about 10" long. It was right in the middle of the kitchen floor and the vinyl was new when she moved in. I hated to do it but I had to charge he for the cost to repair the floor. Now that sounds reasonable, doesn't it?

She looked and me and said, "You have more than I do so you should not charge me for this!"
This is wrong on so many levels. What happened to responsibility? She was not denying that she caused the damage or that she caused the rip in the floor. But because her perception was that I had more, therefore she was "entitled" not to pay.

Life seems to be this way more now than ever before. Everyone wants to do what they want to do without having to pay for it. And to sum it all up, a tenant yesterday stated to me "I know the pet fee was non-refundable, but my pets didn't do anything and therefore I want it back."

Paul Dizmang

2 comments:

Mark said...

I have the exact same problem, some of my tenants act like it's my fault they don't have the rent money on time.

jameswilliams said...

HI,,
I agree with you and Mark mostly people facing same problem but when we mange over time or work it can not happened i think so,,Real estate developers in Pakistan